Chris Pyles is a Member and the Managing Director at Sulloway & Hollis. He has been helping local, regional and national clients protect their companies and improve their workplace culture for more than twenty years. Chris has broad experience dealing with almost every type of employment issue and a focus on practical and economical solutions. That starts with getting to know each client, learning what values and goals are important, and working together to achieve their goals.
As Co-Chair of Sulloway’s Labor & Employment Practice Group, Chris helps hospitals, banks, schools, utility companies, manufacturers, professional associations auto dealers, family businesses, and start-ups navigate the frequently changing challenges of employer/employee interactions. Chris has extensive experience working with clients on tailored employee handbooks and employment contracts, from hiring agreements to non-solicitation / non-compete provisions to separation agreements; solving complex issues surrounding family and medical leave, disability accommodations, fair labor standards, and wage/hour compliance; and, proactively providing training on a range of employment-related issues, including anti-harassment, diversity/inclusion, and best employment practices. He also investigates harassment and discrimination complaints and advises employers on the best path to take when responding to claims. He regularly collaborates with clients on collective bargaining agreements, union grievances, arbitration issues, contract negotiations, and dispute resolution of every kind. He has broad trial and litigation experience in both federal and state courts, handling labor, employment, probate, and product liability cases and defending businesses in a range of other matters.
A frequent speaker at litigation seminars and human resources forums, Chris has published various articles on employment issues. He is a member of the Defense Research Institute’s Law Practice Management group, and Employment and Labor Law section.
Chris is based in the firm’s Concord, NH office, and works from our Providence RI and Needham MA offices, as client needs and office management, require. He can otherwise be found spending time with family and friends and aspires to hike all of New Hampshire’s 4,000-foot mountains by the end of 2023.
Areas of Practice
Labor and Employment Law
School Law/Collective Bargaining
State of New Hampshire
U.S. District Court – District of New Hampshire
Federal Bankruptcy Court – District of New Hampshire
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court – Massachusetts
U.S. District Court of Appeals, First Circuit
West Virginia University College of Law, Morgantown, West Virginia
Law Review: West Virginia College of Law Review, Student Works Editor
University of Virginia
News & Announcements
- Sulloway Attorneys Selected 2021 Best Lawyers, Ones to Watch and Lawyer of the Year
- Several Sulloway & Hollis Attorneys Selected “The Best Lawyers in America”
Honors and Awards
- Selected by his peers as one of The Best Lawyers in America, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
- DRI State Leadership Award
- TDLA Achievement Award 2017-2018
- Graduate, Goldman Sachs 10,000 small Business Program 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Defense Research Institute, Law Practice Management Group (Steering Committee), and Employment and Labor Law section member
- New Hampshire Business and Industry Association
- New Hampshire Women’s Bar Association
- Tri-State Defense Lawyers Association, Past President
- Federal Bar Association, Past President and Founding Member of NH Chapter
Community Activities & Hobbies
- Scout Volunteer
- Obstacle Course and Trail Racing
- Palace Theatre, Board of Directors, past member
- Megan Whalen Turner
- Arturo Perez-Reverte
- Bryce Courtenay
- Babe Didrikson Zaharias
- Meb Keflezighi