In-Depth Guidance On Real Estate, Land Use And Related Areas Of Law
At Sulloway & Hollis, we represent clients in all aspects of real estate acquisition, development, financing, ownership and management. The firm’s Real Estate, Environmental and Development Practice Group has contributed to major projects throughout New Hampshire, including nuclear power plants, shopping centers, ski resort areas, and commercial and industrial developments of all types. We routinely represent clients before Zoning and Planning Boards to address land use regulatory issues.
(Left to right: Kelly L. Ovitt Puc and Peter F. Imse)
We pride ourselves on the high quality and reasonable cost of our legal services. Our attorneys excel at finding creative solutions to legal hurdles. Additionally, our extensive contacts and excellent reputation within the state allow us to overcome the many obstacles our clients often confront.
Robust Backgrounds In All Aspects Of Real Estate
Our attorneys bring strong backgrounds to the practice. All are accomplished practitioners, and many have received prestigious recognition by organizations such as New Hampshire Business Review’s Top Lawyers in New Hampshire, Chambers U.S.A., New Hampshire Business Review Top Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America. Members of the firm also have experience:
- Serving on town Planning & Zoning Boards
- Serving as Town Moderators
- Drafting state and local land use legislation
- Addressing environmental issues
Our diverse strengths make us well-positioned to address the wide range of legal challenges that arise in real estate, land use and development.
We provide a full range of legal services in the real estate area, including:
- Real estate conveyances: We handle all forms of real estate transactions with a focus on commercial transactions for large, institutional clients. Several of our attorneys are issuing agents for a major title insurance company. We have a unique perspective on title issues, taxation matters and other important aspects of real estate transactions.
- Construction and development: Our attorneys are experienced in all types of real estate development, including commercial and industrial projects, resort and vacation developments, residential subdivisions and condominiums. We negotiate acquisition and construction agreements and handle regulatory matters. Additionally, our attorneys provide guidance on all aspects of the New Hampshire’s Condominium Act.
- Land use and zoning: We help clients navigate local land use regulations to secure the necessary permits, approvals and adjustments. Our attorneys have extensive experience appearing before zoning boards and planning commissions throughout the state. We also provide guidance on eminent domain, inverse condemnation, easements and restrictive covenants.
- Operations and leasing: We provide ongoing guidance on the many legal issues that arise in the course of operating and managing commercial properties. Additionally, we help clients negotiate favorable leases, management agreements, easements and other real estate contracts.
- Financing and collections: Our team advises lenders and borrowers with respect to the ownership, acquisition, expansion and refinancing of all types of real estate and business properties. In this arena, our clients include banks, insurance company lenders and tax exempt-lenders such as the New Hampshire Health and Education Facilities Authority. We also represent clients in all types of collections and workout matters, including foreclosures, asset seizures and bankruptcies.
- Environmental issues: Our attorneys are experienced in all areas of environmental law that impact real estate growth and development in the state, including wetland protections, waste disposal, septic construction, air and water quality issues, wind energy, conservation easements and claims under the Shoreland Protection Act. In addition to providing guidance on discrete environmental issues, we also help clients with regulatory compliance and permitting matters.
- Rehabilitation tax credits: We represent an institutional investor in rehabilitating historic structures across the U.S. Our attorneys have helped this client secure federal and state tax credits, with more than a dozen transactions closed or pending in the past year alone. We also provide guidance on other forms of tax-advantaged financing.
- Property tax appeals and abatements: Our state taxation practice represents residential and commercial property owners on taxation matters across New Hampshire.
Practice Group Members
- R. Carl Anderson
- Robert L. Best
- Trevor J. Brown
- Kevin C. Cain
- Nathan R. Deleault
- Peter F. Imse
- Natalie J. Laflamme
- Derek D. Lick
- Margaret H. Nelson
- Kelly L. Ovitt Puc
- Matthew J. Snyder
For more information about our Real Estate, Environmental and Development Practice Group, visit our contact page or call Practice Group Leader Kelly Ovitt Puc at 603-223-2800.