Edward M. Kaplan
Location: Concord, New Hampshire
Edward M. Kaplan retired as a member of Sulloway & Hollis, PLLC, on November 30, 2021.
Mr. Kaplan practiced law at Sulloway & Hollis for 48 years. He represented corporations, businesses, school districts, universities, religious organizations, and hospitals. His practice incorporated all areas of labor and employment law, including matters pending before state and federal courts, the Department of Labor, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the New Hampshire Department of Education and the New Hampshire Commission for Human Rights in discrimination, non-competition, trade secret, wage and hour and wrongful termination cases. Mr. Kaplan has represented school districts, religious organizations and other clients in cases involving allegations of employee misconduct and/or sexual abuse. Additionally, he represented clients in contract negotiations, labor disputes and general labor matters.
Mr. Kaplan has a long history of involvement in race track litigation and in defending the validity of exculpatory releases. He has defended numerous product liability cases, including those involving drugs, machinery, construction equipment, boilers and combustible equipment, sporting goods, automotive equipment, apparel, safety equipment, tobacco, latex and asbestos.
Mr. Kaplan has practiced before all courts in New Hampshire, the U. S. Supreme Court, and the U.S. Court of Appeals in the First and Fourth Circuits. He is a fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, the International Society of Barristers and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. Mr. Kaplan is the Past President of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel and was a Board Member of DRI. He has been included in The Best Lawyers in America© in the labor/employment law and injury litigation categories since 1987 and is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell. Mr. Kaplan is a graduate of the University of Kansas Law School and the University of Kansas.
University of Kansas School of Law, Lawrence, Kansas
J.D. – 1973
University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas
B.A., Bachelor of Arts – 1969
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- AV Rated in Martindale-Hubbell
- ‘Super Lawyer’ Employment and Labor
- The Best Lawyers in America© in the Labor and Employment Law and Personal Injury Litigation categories, since 1987
- Top Litigator in the 2014 Benchmark Litigation Guide – The Definitive Guide to America’s leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, Past President
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, Member
- Past Board Member and Chair, New Hampshire Public Radio
- Past Board Member and Chair, Hopkinton, NH School Board
- Board Member, Capitol Center for the Arts