Experienced Guidance For Schools And Educational Institutions
Public schools and private educational institutions face a wide array of legal questions, from labor and employment issues to real estate matters to regulatory compliance. At Sulloway & Hollis, we understand the unique challenges confronting clients in the education sector. Our school law practitioners have more than 30 years of experience advising New Hampshire school districts, school boards and educational institutions on all areas of education law. We develop strategies to minimize risks, reduce exposure to legal claims and enhance our clients’ educational missions.
Our attorneys are respected leaders in the community with strong records of municipal, government and community service. Our team includes a former Hopkinton School Board member as well as members of various state and municipal boards and commissions. As a result, we know firsthand how to navigate the myriad issues that arise in both the public sector and the private education context.
Comprehensive Services: Compliance, Counseling, Litigation And Conflict Resolution
Our School Law and Education Law Practice Group assists clients with:
- Managing labor relations, including negotiating and administering collective bargaining agreements, handling grievances, and defending against charges before the New Hampshire Public Employee Labor Relations Board
- Addressing the full array of other labor and employment advice
- Preparing student handbooks and policies
- Addressing questions regarding school board governance
- Advising school boards and attending school board and annual district meetings
- Establishing policies for student discipline and safety
- Implementing statutory and regulatory requirements for special education
- Respecting students’ privacy rights
- Complying with FERPA (the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)
- Complying with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
- Addressing real estate, building, construction, land use and zoning issues
- Securing tax exemptions at the federal, state and local levels
- Providing guidance on general business and corporate matters, including but not limited to district management, contractual and internal organizational issues
We also represent clients in litigation, arbitration and mediation. Our attorneys have extensive experience appearing before administrative bodies as well as state and federal courts.
Practice Group Members
To learn more about our School and Education Law Practice Group, please visit our contact page or call Practice Group Leaders Sarah Murdough, Bill Pandolph or Chris Pyles at 603-223-2800.