Protecting Clients’ Financial Interests In State Taxation Matters
The State Taxation Practice Group at Sulloway & Hollis provides tax guidance for businesses and individuals in New Hampshire. Based in Concord, we are well-versed in all aspects of state and local taxes, many of which are unique to New Hampshire. Our attorneys draw on a wealth of experience and local contacts to advise clients on strategies for minimizing tax liabilities in a multitude of contexts.
The firm’s team includes accomplished attorneys with in-depth experience on state tax matters. Because we have handled such a wide breadth of taxation issues, we can readily anticipate likely outcomes in a given case. We apply this knowledge and professional judgment to help clients devise the most effective strategies for achieving favorable results at reasonable cost.
Many of our clients include large institutions and business organizations in diverse industries and property owners throughout the state. We work collaboratively with executives, financial officers, accountants and in-house legal counsel. Whether advocating on clients’ behalf in administrative proceedings or negotiating with state taxing authorities, our attorneys understand how to protect clients’ interests.
A Wide Breadth Of Tax Services
Our tax services include:
- Securing tax-exempt bonds, tax credits and other tax-advantaged financing
- Interacting with state officials, as appropriate, both before and after transactions to advocate for proper characterization of the transaction
- Pursuing property tax exemption and abatements
- Challenging property tax assessments, including current use determinations
- Addressing tax-exemption issues for health care institutions, educational institutions and nonprofit organizations
- Implementing strategies for minimizing real estate transfer taxes as well as gift and estate taxes
- Helping businesses navigate business profit taxes and business enterprise taxes in New Hampshire
- Representing clients in informal and formal appeals of assessments in administrative proceedings before the New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration (DRA) and before state trial and appellate courts
- Obtaining informal and formal DRA opinions on a wide range of tax issues
Forward-Thinking Guidance On Developments In The Law
With its lack of a state income tax or sales tax (the “New Hampshire Advantage”), our state relies on a plethora of other taxes – some of them quite unique – to balance its budget. We leverage extensive ties to both the legislature and business groups to keep abreast of the latest developments in state tax law. This strength allows us to provide valuable guidance for clients on the ripple effects that often stem from changes in the law.
Practice Group Members
To learn more about our State Taxation Practice Group, visit our contact page or call Practice Group Leader, Meg Nelson, at 603-223-2800.