Professional Legal Guidance on Trusts, Estates and Related Tax Issues
At Sulloway & Hollis, we assist clients with the important decisions involved in protecting their families and preparing for the future. Our attorneys handle all aspects of estate planning and trust and estate administration, as well as the federal estate and gift taxation issues that go along with these areas. We also have a robust probate litigation practice.
In addition to providing guidance on estate planning and administration, we possess in-depth understanding in related areas of law such as business law and real estate. This perspective enables us to fully address all aspects of our clients’ challenges. By providing sophisticated guidance, we help clients set forth their wishes, establish a legacy and minimize taxation on the transfer of wealth.
Based in Concord, we work with clients across New Hampshire, with an emphasis on business owners, executives, closely held businesses, professionals and others with high net worth estates.
An estate plan is much more than a legal document or set of documents. It represents a set of strategies for making your unique goals a reality.
An estate plan includes many components. Our attorneys help clients implement the right strategies and solutions. Depending on the unique needs of each client, we prepare documents such as:
- Trusts, including revocable, irrevocable, domestic asset protection and special needs trusts
- Life insurance trusts
- Generation-skipping trusts
- Health-care powers of attorney
- Durable financial powers of attorney
- Living wills
- Asset protection plans
A major focus of our estate planning practice involves advising clients on estate tax minimization strategies and asset protection planning.
We handle guardianship proceedings for minors and incapacitated persons. We also assist health care institutions in appointing guardians for patients when necessary. We have substantial experience appearing before Probate Courts throughout the state.
Our attorneys help clients develop strategies for avoiding or minimizing estate and gift taxes through tools such as:
- Education Plans (§529 plans and trusts for minors)
- Qualified personal residence trusts (QPRTs)
- Charitable trusts
- Grantor-retained annuity trusts (GRATs)
- Family limited partnerships
- Limited liability companies (LLCs)
- Conservation easements
- Sophisticated estate planning
We also assist in the preparation of gift and estate tax returns.
Estate & Trust Administration
We assist executors, trustees, administrators and other fiduciaries in fulfilling their legal obligations with regard to trust and estate administration. Our attorneys offer experienced guidance on:
- Applying and interpreting the governing estate planning documents
- Transferring assets and making distributions in accordance with the estate plan
- Identifying, valuing and accounting for trust or estate assets
- Preparing appropriate state and federal tax returns
- Managing trust assets in a prudent manner
- Preparation of federal estate and gift tax returns
- Prosecuting and defending litigated claims involving estates and trusts
Practice Group Members
To learn more about our Tax, Trusts & Estates Practice Group, visit our contact page or call Practice Group Leader, Elise Salek, at 603-223-2800.